Associate Professor of Biology
Coordinator: Pre-Veterinary Program
Coordinator: Program for Undergraduate Research Experience (PURE)
Human Physiology (Biol 236)
Human Anatomy (Biol 205)
Biology of Sex (Biol 213)
Senior Seminar (Biol 499)
Lynches River County Park / Environmental Discovery Center Internship
See the Biology Department Chair for information on how to sign up for a Biology 498 Internship with Lynches River County Park: LSF 204c for research credit. To get 2 hours of credit in Biology 498, a student is required to perform approximately 90 hours of service (45 for 1 hour credit) in an environment where they are applying (or observing such application of) biological principles in the workplace. The student intern will be required to keep a journal to document daily activities and complete a final report describing the benefits of the work experience and the skills acquired. A statement from the supervisor of the workplace is also required to verify satisfactory completion of the internship.
Internship options include, but are not limited to:
- Bluebird Box Data Collection (February-September): Checking 19 bluebird boxes to observe and record data for types and frequency of nests; egg laying; hatchling; fledgling rates; determining overall success rate for the season and submitting data to national database.
- Animal Husbandry (year-round): Caring for and helping to maintain EDC animal collection: diet preparations, feeding, cleaning, handling, record-keeping, and public presentations (etc.).
- Species Surveys - amphibian, reptile, bird, etc. within Lynches River County Park.
- Trail Guide Development - identifying species, historical/cultural significance, and creating maps (etc.)
- Tree/Plant Species of the Park" book " Garden/Trail maintenance - general maintenance of pollinator garden, rain garden and Carolina Fence garden, as well as trail system.
Contact: (843) 389-0550, www.lynchesriverpark.com
page is being updated each semester, so check back or contact PURE Coordinator.
by Tamatha Barbeau, 2013. This web site is for educational
purposes; if you have comments, corrections, or suggestions,
please contact me
Written by Tamatha Barbeau, 2004. This web site is for educational purposes; if you own an image on this site and would like it removed or used with permission, or if you have comments, corrections, or suggestions, please contact me.